Friday, August 01, 2008

How about some solutions...

In a previous blog, I articulated what I think the problems with the response to the failure of leaders in the church, so I feel I'm obligated to offer some solutions or suggestions on how things should be handled. My ex, whom I am still close to and speak with often, thinks I'm the right person to do this because of what we experienced in the church, and I agree. 

Galatians 6
1
BRETHREN, IF any person is overtaken in misconduct or sin of any sort, you who are spiritual [who are responsive to and controlled by the Spirit] should set him right and restore and reinstate him, without any sense of superiority and with all gentleness, keeping an attentive eye on yourself, lest you should be tempted also.2Bear (endure, carry) one an other's burdens and [a]troublesome moral faults, and in this way fulfill and observe perfectly the law of Christ (the Messiah) and complete [b]what is lacking [in your obedience to it].
I'll point to a couple other text, there aren't many by the way, to give us some guidelines for dealing with the fallen.

In this text it clearly indicates that people will succumb to sin, be overtaken, fall, blow it, take your choice. The question is what should our response be? First, let me articulate what the response all too often is: Anger, retribution, punishment, gossip, general ill will, cutting the person off.   I do make room for and know that very good and sincere people trying to do the right thing for some reason don't, maybe we rush things.

First of all, you may take issue with gossip being included in this list, after all you are only talking about something someone actually did. I have heard gossip defined this way: It is telling someone something about someone else that they don't need to know. It's not a matter of whether it is true or not; Is it your business? Is it the business of the person you are telling? Does it promote restoration and healing? I think not.

Feelings of anger and a sense of betrayal are normal, but those feelings don't justify in sinning in your anger. Acting in ways that will harm the one who has sinned, making the task of restoration more difficult than it already is. Betrayal? Maybe, but maybe not. I can't think of a single instance in which someone that I am familiar with has fallen that there haven't been signs along the way. One of the most common things I hear from people in the aftermath of a person falling is, " I knew there was something wrong", " I've been seeing things for quite some time" or comments like that. My question always is  Did you say something to the person? What did you do to try and help or stop this person from going down this destructive path? All to often the answer is, 'no I was afraid they would be angry with me' 'no I thought someone else was talking to him/her' Matthew 18 say, 'If YOU see someone in sin, go to them..' No it's not easy and with leaders it's down right scary, but if we really care about people we can't wait until they crash and burn and then stand over their mangled life acting shocked and betrayed, when we 'knew something was wrong.' It is not an easy thing to do, but its the right thing to do.

I won't go deeply into this, but when I was in trouble and struggling, it was hard not to notice; in fact it was blatant and obvious that I wasn't making it. At one point at my home with my wife sitting there, I confessed that I felt that I had disqualified myself as an elder in the church. I have no idea what those folks heard, but none of them said a word to me at that time or afterwards, so I was surprised when they said they were shocked when I finally hit the dust.
Would it have been hard to confront me?  Absolutely!   I had all the power structurally and in that church system really didn't have to be accountable.

So what should happen in these situations? First of all, it would be great if something happens before the person falls, if we would develop structures that allow for accountability. Any system where the leader is 'king' is a dangerous system. We need to respect our leaders, but they shouldn't be given so much structural authority that they don't have to account for their behaviors. That would mean if a person is acting out in ways that give rise to concern, those concerns can be addressed in a open and fair context where the confronting person can't just be blown off or fears repercussions.

Another thing that would be preventative would be to take our responsibility to protect one another and care for each other more seriously. If you are in a system that facilities 'kingship' or autocratic leadership models, one in which you are not allowed to ask honest and fair questions, then 'run Forrest run'! If you're in a system that is not open and is secretive and dismissive of sincere and fair scrutiny, I would think of disconnecting. Those systems facilitate or support leaders acting with autonomy and no one needs that kind of latitude. We all have the potential to fail and if we are allowed to isolate and disconnect from the community, the chances are we will.

So if a leader fails, what should we do?
I'll just give a few principles that I think will be helpful.

1. Have a written plan in place that is based on biblical principles to guide your church through the process. I think almost every business and city in the State of California has an emergency plan in place in case of an earthquake. It's not a matter of if there will be an earthquake, it's a matter of when. These situations are like 'spiritual earthquakes'; they rock everyone's world and knock everyone off balance.   And the closer you are to the epicenter, the more damage there is.   In the case of churches, it is usually the Board and staff who are closest to the epicenter and have a very difficult time staying objective and balanced in their approach, yet they are in most cases given the assignment of dealing with the problem. It is very difficult to be even and to not react in anger to the failings of someone they are close to and in many cases they act in punitive ways, of which there is no biblical mandate for doing so. The mandate is healing and restoration, not punishment and retribution. So a document guiding us through the process is something that would be a benefit to all involved. The person who sins needs to be protected believe it or not, and so does the community.

2. Don't be afraid to get outside help. You will not be the first community to go through this situation.  There are others that have and have developed approaches that can be a help to you. One that comes to mind is the Foursquare denomination. It seems to me that they handle these things well.

3. Deal with the situation as a community of faith, not a cooperation! Most non-profits are Incorporated in their States and have by-laws which they are to govern by. No problem, use those as guidelines, but use the scriptures as the primary source of handling the situation.
The people should know there is a problem and in general what the problem is. They don't need to know every gruesome detail. They think they need to, they demand to, but in most cases that does nothing to promote healing and restoration. It's kind of like someone going into surgery, 'were taking him in, we'll be operating on his heart and will give you updates along the way.' It's not a matter of hiding anything, if the long term desire is for restoration and healing, you don't want to add to the condition of the person by exposing and shaming the person publicly.

4. Whenever possible let the person who has fallen remain in the community where they have failed. Yes, it would be awkward at first and uncomfortable, but over time it makes it clear that the person hasn't been cut off and exiled. It also is a clear indicator of the persons willingness to own their sin and walk in humility in relationship with their family. That's what we say we are, a family, but we act like anything but family when dealing with these situations. Do we cast adrift our children when they fail? Our brothers or sisters? We don't pretend the person hasn't failed, but we can walk through it with them, allowing them to experience the consequence of their failure, but we don't add to that consequence by failing to love them.

5. Celebrate together the recovery and victory together. I could be wrong about this, but one of my fantasies has always been of my wife and I completing the process that was set up for us, which we did.   And with us being present with our church community, and it being announced and celebrated in the church as a victory for Jesus. I cannot imagine the rank and file folks who made up the congregation not standing up and cheering, praising God. I don't say this with one ounce of bitterness, but I think feeling cut off from the church we had been part of for 20  years  was harmful to us, and to some degree undermined our ability to fully recover.  It was unfortunate. We lived and we are both doing fine now, but I think that would have been a good and pleasing thing to the Lord.

Sorry for using myself as an example, but I have gone through this and since then have continued to watch others go through it and we continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
I'd like to see us do it God's way somewhere, sometime, it happens to far and few between in my opinion.
I would love to hear from you on this.  I would love you to pass this along to others. I would love for the church act its best in one of these situations not the worst.

Just as a footnote, I always hear as a justification for treating someone harshly is due to the nature of their sin.  Although I'm sure there are circumstances in which that needs to be in some way considered, that doesn't seem to be part of the criteria of what Paul lays out for us in Galatians 6 or anywhere else we see these issues dealt with in the NT, except the unrepentant man in Corinthians, who was set aside, but then Paul later had to plead with the church to let him back in once he repented!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carl, true wisdom. Would you mind if I share some of this with some churches I work with? I'll credit you. We are going to do better than we have in the past, especally if we are willing to let others help us. Blessings.

carlt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carlt said...

Absolutely Ron, I sure hope we do, I'm watching it go down again somewhere right now and although I know they are trying really hard, because they fail to 'let others help' they continue to make harmful mistakes for themselves and others.

carlt said...

This comment ended up under the 'it blows my mind pt 2' blog and was meant for this one.

Karen said...
Carl,

Well said! I think you should really pray about writing a book about your leadership experience. There are many wounded leaders who could receive some insight and healing from it, and many Christians who would benefit from learning
how to extend grace and love; not to mention church boards and elders that need to have a plan in place for restoration. Your earthquake analogy is perfect.

I’ve thought about your reference to 1 Corinthians 12: 26 -"And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it."

Christians tend to like to brag about their gifted and talented pastors and love to hang-out with the movers and shakers. Let’s face it, the rejoicing with the honored member is easy! But when the pastor falls and there is personal pain and suffering, then it becomes very difficult to suffer together. You are so right. Often the first reaction is to cut the pastor off, remove him from his ministry and his church family, not necessarily for restoration purposes, but because he has failed the flock. Ouch!

I personally walked through a painful time with a former pastor and his family when he fell. For me it was natural to approach him in love because I love him for who he is in Jesus, not for what he did for me, or how great of a Bible teacher he was.
He was physically, emotionally and spiritually drained from years of serving, and when temptation overwhelmed him, he caved in. He repented and submitted to a restoration process with another pastor in another city, but did not get to heal with his church that he most definitely loved and cared for.

I'm sure almost everyone you know could tell you a similar story about how someone they respected in leadership stumbled and fell. As you stated, let’s definitely be “imitators of Christ and walk in love, as beloved children.” Count me in!

You are not sinning in your anger. :)

Anonymous said...

I think Karen's comments are spot on. I, too, think a book from you is in order. You could be a tremendous voice for redemption. I finally took a sabbattical after 42years of pastoring and being a big shot, and it took months to realize how angry and wounded I was. I would have probably been in more trouble if I hadn't been too tired to sin. Ha!

Rick Van Cleef said...

WRITE THE BOOK!!!!!!!