Friday, November 30, 2007

What Make A Great Worship Song?


I am probably opening a can of worms here by trying to answer this question, after all when it comes to music, art, poetry, there is much to be said for the saying ‘beauty is in the eyes (ears, hearts) of the beholder’, in other words our taste in music can vary greatly and in many aspects is based on subjective criteria, but what the heck I’ll try and identify some of the common denominators of what I believe makes a great worship song.

The songs I am referring to by the way are the ones that have emerged over the past 30 years as worship has evolved to become more culturally relevant and current in the medium and the message. Obviously there are great hymns that have been written over the centuries and are still in use today in churches throughout the world. Some would argue that they have more depth and are better musically than the songs we are utilizing today. I don’t hold that opinion, but will tackle that in a future article.

So based on the songs that are song today in hundreds of thousands of churches around the world, what makes one song stand out over and against another.
For the sake of space of which I am limited, I will make these bullet points with a touch of explanation.
Content: Are the lyrics based on truths set forth in the Bible? Are they sound doctrinally, and theologically? Do they reflect what one wants to say, to or about God?

Melody: I have listened to songs that have come straight from the scripture that are really bad and I have felt people at times have gone way to far in stating ‘the Lord gave me this song’!

Is it memorable? Is it accessible? That is, can most people who are meant to sing the song, sing it? It may be a great song, it may have great lyrics, a great melody and ‘hook’, but if it can’t be sung, what makes it a worship song?

Simplicity: I’m sure this will get a rise out of some, there has been much criticism of contemporary worship because of its simplicity and I believe much of it is unwarranted. The Bible is filled with simple statements that are profoundly true, ‘I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father except by me.’ Not terribly complex but profound and true.

If people can sing it and it’s easily transferable a song will travel around the world and be used to engage God’s people together in worship, think of ‘I Love You Lord’, ‘How Great is Our God’, ‘Shout to the Lord’, in fact the songs that are used throughout the world by congregations of every tribe and nation are songs like these examples. They can be played with the simplest accompaniment or non at all, lending themselves to be used, which is the point right? People gathering with their hearts and lives open to God, expressing praise, adoration, thanks and honor to God.

No comments: